Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Who-ra-ra Wisconsin

Janesville, WI
70 miles/ build day

We've spent the last couple of days in Wisconsin, and I hope to resolve the longstanding question- do happy cows come from California or Wisconsin?

Yesterday's ride was incredibly difficult. While only 70 miles ( I notice that now anything less than 100 miles seems short), heat and hills were in full force. It was 103 degrees and since I was riding as Sweep, the ride took 9.5 hours. Let's just say I wasn't the happiest of campers when I finally rolled into the host site.

Today's build day was a mix of renovations in a blighted neighborhood. I was on paint crew again, but it was worth it since I got to be inside and singing along to The Rolling Stones. We also got to exercise our green thumbs and work on starting up a community garden for the area.

Tonight featured an incredible feast of the midwest's finest, with highlights including sweet corn and a dairy truck serving fried cheese curds and ice cream. Our host was the brother of Paul Ryan, a member of the U.S. House of Representatives and prominent member of the Republican Party (he was a potential running mate for Romney). Politics were not discussed at dinner, however- mostly talk of the Tour de France.

Also, my chore group for the week includes making breakfast and doing laundry. Let's just say that washing nearly 100 pairs of spandex is kind of overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment