Sunday, July 29, 2012

Blogging from Bemidji

Bemidji, MN
72 miles

Today marks the second of many days spent biking along Highway 2. We'll be riding its shoulder from here through North Dakota, Montana, Idaho and Washington. It's not the most enthralling of scenery, but sometimes we find exciting things- like piles of logs, Judy Garland museums, larger-than-life Paul Bunyans, and fish-shaped homes.

It's official: we are more than halfway across the country! And over 2,000 miles in. To celebrate, we've bought a time machine and transported ourselves back to high school and prom. Well, jut kidding about the time machine... Not so much about prom. Bike & Build prom is taking place in a few days in Rugby, ND.

Creativity is running amok in how people are asking their dates. Today, one of the boys told me that his rash was getting worse and wanted me to take a look at it (this group has all sorts of rashes, sunburns poison oak, leeches, you name it). As he pulled up his shorts, I was in for a surprise-- an invitation to prom and a pun. Well, I hope spandex is appropriate and that cycling shoes make good dancing shoes...

Tonight's sunset is a beautiful and reflective one, and one that I wish I could be sharing with someone extra special to me. Being on Bike & Build sometimes feels like I'm on another planet and out of touch with reality; it's easy to lose one's sense of groundedness. Reaching the halfway point has got me thinking about life after the trip and about who I am as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment