Friday, July 6, 2012

Saddle Chore

Today I rode as the Sweep, which meant I was in the back of the group, armed with extra tubes and the first aid kit. The role of sweep is to essentially put out any fires and offer road-side assistance to the other riders so that the leader/ trailer can continue driving. It is one of the many chores we perform as riders to keep everything functioning. Other chores include laundry, dishes, cooking, loading the trailers, making Gatorade, cleaning host sites, and giving massages (see picture. We have perfected the massage train).

Our day began at 4 am and ended 87 miles later. We woke up early to beat the heat, but unfortunately, since I was Sweep and had to stay behind the slowest riders, I didn't get a lot of morning miles in. Oh well. Bike & Build has a 90-90 rule where if it is 90 degrees or we ride 90 miles, we get two lunches. Since it was 97 degrees out, we had two lunches (9 AM lunches are so awesome!) and got to to enjoy riding alongside beautiful Lake Erie.

Things are getting intense around here. The social and physical demands of the trip are getting to some of the riders. One of the members has left the trip, and another is injured. I have to admit, it's tough- being with 32 people 24/7, riding for hours on hours (70 miles a day on average) and being in the heat are all very exhausting and demanding.

Fortunately, I'm feeling pretty good about everything. I know when I need to take some time for myself and am working hard to stay hydrated and eat enough. And, because I'm a Schrimmer, I know the importance of skin care! Grandpa and Grandma Schrimmer will be pleased to know how often I reapply sunscreen and wear arm sleeves to minimize exposure to the sun.

Well, that's about it. A delicious dinner of all sorts of things (but most importantly, SPINACH and FRESH FRUIT!) has filled my belly and now I'm ready for bed. Goodnight, blogosphere!

No comments:

Post a Comment