Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Flatlands

Bowling Green, OH
90 miles

We've officially entered the flat part of our trip. Our cue sheets list the same road for 20+ miles, offering very little change in scenery. Earlier in the trip as I struggled through the hills, I eagerly looked forward to the flats. Soon we'll be seeing if that holds true or if I should eat my words.

I've been in Ohio for a few days now, and the state has revealed its story to me, slowly. As we ride through, it's no secret the state is struggling. Along the Industrial belt, I see towns dried up essentially as manufacturing has moved overseas, their factories and smokestacks relics of older days. I can't even imagine what it would be like in places like Detroit.

Disparities in wealth are evident, too. We spent a few days in cushy Avon Lake, staying in beautiful homes along Lake Erie and enjoying the delights of the suburbs. And then we were in Lorraine, just a few miles down the road, removing mold and fixing walls of foreclosed homes.

The 2012 election has a strong presence here, suggesting that Ohio is anything but a forgotten state. Obama and Romney signs fight for space in windows of Ma and Pa coffee shops.(Never have I seen so many Romney signs before). But even in these times, Ohioans seem resilient, holding onto their state pride and love for college sports teams (Go Buckeyes!).

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad Nicki Minaj made it into your blog, Debs :)

    I'm loving all the pictures and fun stories!! Looks like an incredible experience! Go you! Woo!

    ReplyDelete