Saturday, August 4, 2012

Bike & Build prom

Rugby, ND
62 miles

We had Bike & Build prom! My date Baxter and I took a 1970's theme and got groovy costumes. Pretty sure I looked like the epitome of a human disco ball. A night of music and dancing was a much appreciated change to our routine.

Now we're in Minot, ND. The 64 mile ride was an ominous one. Hail, rain, thunder, lightning, nonexistent shoulders, big trucks, gravel everywhere. Everyone was so relieved to reach the host site and get out of the storm.

Minot, ND is nicknamed "The Magic City", which I find ironic due to the surrounding area's recent oil renaissance. Strip malls of construction supplies and big trucks are everywhere, and overall, I sense a lack of community.

Today we had a build day and worked on flood repairs. My group was sent to a home that needed new floors. Even a month later, the neighborhood was still in absolute shambles. I felt like I was in a war zone- debris and trash everywhere, eerily vacant homes, a truck with a siren driving by periodically to offer water and donuts to people. Walking around the neighborhood got me thinking about emergency and disaster preparedness in general. I remembered FEMA's failed response during Hurricane Katrina, wondering if things were better here. The weather was cold and rainy, so we got creative with staying warm in our construction clothes. Leg warmers with shorts? My Bike & Build fashion faux pauxs continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment