Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Vermonster Challenge

Today's challenge consisted of one of Vermont's finest, Mt. Bethel. It was a 42 mile ride with a 6 mile climb at a 5% grade. That means INTENSITY for a mere peon like myself, who is still working on her cycling legs.

But I got up the mountain and am proud to report that I biked every fricking inch. Had to down a 20g protein Clif Bar halfway up, but I did it! I think that was the most gratifying part- knowing that I stuck to my personal goal and did it in its entirety. The downhill ride made it all worth it. Clocking 41 mph is a fantastic and exhilarating feeling!

In other news, I scored the group a free pound of Fudge today. We have this thing called "Donation Magic", which is essentially delivering an elevator pitch to places we stop at along the way to try and garner support for our ride, be it money to donate towards affordable housing or food for our hungry bellies. I've been a little put off by the whole thing because I hate asking people for things and feeling like I'm using them. But today, I stopped in a general store and got to talking with the sales guy. He was really impressed with what we were doing and said he'd love to donate some fudge to us. Let's say that the group was very pleased with my donation magic today.

Vermont is a beautiful state. I love the natural beauty of the White River and the quaint town of Rochester that we are staying in. I also tried some pretty fantastic Maple Syrup-- Aunt Jemima's can't compare!


No comments:

Post a Comment