Monday, May 21, 2012

Bike trips and bean dip

Hello again, blog world. It’s been a while. 


I’ve been quite busy the last couple of weeks. Sure, there’s school and the ever-exhaustive list of extracurriculars keeping me busy. And of course, there’s tons going on with Bike & Build-- the final blitz of fundraising, sweat equity hours with the Sacramento Habitat for Humanity, affordable housing presentations, and spending lots of time (but not enough!) in the saddle. 


I’m in the one month countdown. It hasn’t totally hit me yet. Most of my peers dread that “so what are you going to do after you graduate?” question from inquisitive but well-meaning people, but not me. Lately, I’ve found myself talking more and more about my trip with those around me. Cashiers at Trader Joes. UC Davis staff. Doctors and nurses at the health center. Random strangers. Seriously. I can’t help telling everyone- I am so excited! 


And while I am doing a lot of preparation for this trip, there’s a lot I can’t plan for. As an aspiring urban planner, it’s no surprise that I like to plan things, have everything accounted for, and know what to expect. But that’s not how life works. Some of the best things happen organically.


As I get closer to the start of this adventure, I find myself thinking about John Lennon’s line from his song “Beautiful Boy”- "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." I’m trying to work on being more open to letting life work in its mysterious ways, having faith that things tend to work out for the best and accepting the things that are out of my control. 


I’ll be honest. Dealing with uncertainty is tough. It’s just one of many different things I feel towards this trip. At times I feel like human bean dip- each layer representing something unique: 


 • Cheese that’s haphazardly placed on top: that carefree feeling of “I’m just going to ride my bike casually, without abandon, wearing a huge smile on my face”. Cue the gentle breeze to blow through my hair like I’m in a commercial for a convertible. I’m sure as soon as I hit my first mountain and begin to climb this feeling will disappear all but completely. 


• Sour cream that is totally not necessary but it tastes oh sooo good: the privilege I feel about this whole trip, being somewhat self-indulgent to take time and go ride across the country. 


• Pico de gallo chopped into tiny bits of tomato, cilantro and onion: the overwhelming support from my family and friends. Letters of encouragement, financial contributions to my trip, gear for my bike. 


• Spicy salsa with a kick: Dangerous, exhilarating sense of adventure. Biking across the country, seeing new sites, operating heavy power tools to build houses. 


• Bright green guacamole: Connection with nature. Being outside all day and then camping beneath the stars at night. Seeing the country by the “greenest” and most sustainable mode of transportation! 


• Beans: Uncertainty, nerves, doubt. That heavy pit in your stomach. That “OHMYGOD WHAT AM I DOING- I’m about to bike over 3,700 miles with twenty complete strangers for two and a half months?!” feeling. Wondering if I’m in good enough shape, if people will like me, if I’ll be able to do it. 


All of these feeling are important and critical to the experience, and I’m working on embracing them all- especially the beans.

1 comment:

  1. Debs . . . Ole!!!!!!!! Aside from making me SO hungry for a platter of nachos, you have to know how incredibly PROUD and EXCITED we are that you are embarking on this amazing adventure in just a few weeks! The way you are embracing this lifetime of an experience is SO inspiring Debs. We will follow your journey AND of course I'll be sending you all kinds of packages through the 'mail drop' service. ♥ Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete